Saturday, February 18, 2012

Leah-lou

There was a little girl, who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good, she was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I remember reading this poem as a little girl with my mom, and its verses have echoed in my head many many times lately as we have experienced the emerging independence of toddlerhood in our home.  I don't mean to call Leah "horrid," but it truly is amazing to me how she can be such a pure delight, love and joy when she is in a good mood....but when she is feeling a little off or contrary, none of us are feeling too delighted.  She has a lot of fire in that big little spirit of hers.  It can be wonderful, and it can be..... exhausting.  To put it lightly.

I'm convinced that Longfellow knew a girl a lot like our little Leah when he wrote those famous lines of his.


Difficult moments and all, we sure love this girl, and wouldn't want her any other way.


1 comment:

  1. I am glad you blogged this hilarious comparison. I felt a little bad about how hard you had me laughing when you were telling me that over the phone but you are so funny. I have read my fair share of "parenting a strong-willed child" articles so I do feel your pain. In the long run it is good for your child to be strong and assertive, but it is tricky when they're 19 months old, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete