Monday, July 16, 2012

Third Anniversary - Dave and Katie get away!!!

This last weekend, Dave and I had the opportunity to go on an overnight getaway, just the two of us.  We didn't go far...just thirty minutes away to Washington DC, but we had such an awesome time.  We've done the monuments and the museums and the mall many many times, but neither of us have ever really explored the actual city part of DC.  Turns out it's pretty awesome!  And we're anxious to go back :)
We left early Friday afternoon and took the metro into the city.  I had no idea how hard it would be to leave Leah and Dallin (even though we were leaving them in the hands of WONDERFUL babysitters)...I cried while reading Leah a story before nap time (she looked at me very inquisitively), then cried most of the way to the metro.  It wasn't until later that night when we went to a movie (The Avengers - it was soooo good!) that I really snapped out of it and found myself really able to focus on and enjoy my alone time with my sweet Dave.
Dave booked us a great room at a hotel a couple blocks from the White House. 
Along with a cute sitting room, it also had a random little bar room...but it just had a window and a sink, with nothing in the cupboards.  In fact, when I tried to open one, the door came right off!
Smile if you know what this means!
We had dinner at this cute Italian restaurant in Georgetown.

 After dinner we walked down M street doing a little window shopping and exploring before heading down to the movie.
This is part of the original C&O Canal
 As I mentioned before, we loved the movie and it really helped me snap out of being sad about leaving Leah and Dallin and made me feel really excited about having this time with Dave.  We took a taxi back to our hotel from Georgetown (even though it was only a little over a mile away) and got some late night frozen yogurt before heading to the hotel for a good, uninterrupted night's sleep (a part of the weekend we were VERY much looking forward to!).
When we headed out to hit the town again the next morning, we checked out of our room and left our bags with the bellhop. 
First stop: the White House.
Along with the Eisenhower Executive Building next door. 
It's impressive...I don't know why I hadn't taken much of note of it before.
The front side of the Eisenhower building.

And the front of the White House (always looks so small in pictures!).
From there we decided to go explore another shopping district and on the way, we ran into an Indian wedding.
This wedding party was hopping (quite literally) and was super interesting to see in real life - until now I'd only seen similar things in movies.

Doing a little shopping (which, unfortunately was completely unsuccessful, but we had fun doing it).
You can tell Dave enjoyed it :)

From shopping we went on to Chinatown - I had a major craving for some Asian cuisine.  We ended up having DEEElicious Thai food.
After a full lunch, we headed back to get our bags at the hotel.  For the first time we noticed a plaque on the outside describing the hotel as one of few that was built during World War II.  Coincidentally, it was given its current name the very month Dave was born.
It was a wonderful, relaxing, enjoyable and very fun getaway.  Love you, Dave, and happy 3 years!  I can't express how much I look forward to many, many, many more!

1 comment:

  1. Wow you guys are good at really getting your alone time. James probably wishes that we had more of it, hopefully with Melissa coming to BYU we'll be able to do that a little more ...

    ReplyDelete