Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Melissa's visit, part 1

One of my best friends from high school came to visit us for a few days this weekend...and those few days were NOT enough!  Melissa was the perfect guest to have...she was so much fun to talk to and reminisce with, she was patient with the hectic activity at our house, and she was amazing to step in and help out wherever she could (particularly when she unexpectedly had to make our entire Sunday dinner...thanks, Melissa!).  We loved having her here, and I was very sad when she had to go.

In between the chaos that we sometimes refer to as Leah and Dallin, we managed to fit in a little sight-seeing here and there.

First sight: ANNAPOLIS!  We chose to go here the day Dave had to work since we go here almost any time someone comes to visit...it's one of our favorites :)  We didn't do a whole lot here besides walk around a little bit, but that's pretty much all we ever do in Annapolis.  We also didn't take very many pictures, but here are a couple (courtesy of Melissa!).

I love this little crooked house

Annapolis has lots of cute little Inns/B&B's like this one

Second sight: FORT MCHENRY.  I was incredibly disappointed to find that, though I remembered my camera on this one, I did not remember to take the card back out of the computer from my last upload and put it back in the camera...so, once again, these pictures are courtesy of Melissa.

I did not realize until recently that we lived so close to the place where the "Star Spangled Banner" was written.  We began our time at the Fort listening to a "Ranger" (basically a tour guide), but Leah only lasted about 40 minutes with him, so moved off on our own to tour the fort and then ended the day watching a video about the significance of the sight.  The coolest part about the video was at the end when they began to play the National Anthem and the movie screen then raised up to reveal a huge window that looked out on the Fort and the American flag waving proudly.  It was very moving (even for a mother worn out from chasing a toddler and who was anxious to leave instead of watch the video).

Dallin did really well in the stroller (he usually prefers to be held more than anything) 
Leah kept getting in the middle of the tour group and grabbing random people's legs, so I pulled her away for a little bit to give everyone a break 


Inside the fort





This replica was the exact same size as the original flag that was waving when Francis Scott Key wrote the song (I think that's what he said...Leah made it a little tough to concentrate...so don't quote me on that one.  If I have the chance to verify that is true I'll erase this disclaimer)
That's a proud little girl walking along the whole path all on her own!

"Oh, just a second guys!  All that running around makes me thirsty!"

No comments:

Post a Comment