Wednesday, March 7, 2012

20 months

As is probably evident from a certain recent post about Leah, she can be quite the handful.  She is also an incredibly energizing, entertaining, loving, and rewarding little girl, and it has been so amazing to watch her grow and learn every day.

Some things to remember about our 20 month old Leah:

She is very self-entertaining and always has been.  Of course she loves attention and loves when we play with her, but she can keep herself busy for a long period of time, which makes her play time interesting to just sit and watch.  She is also very nurturing and likes to do what she can to help me with Dallin, whether it be by feeding him snacks or grabbing a burp cloth to wipe him off when he spits up or reminding me when we're going somewhere that I need to bring Dallin, too (as if I'd forget).  On the rare occasion that she wakes up in the morning or from her nap before Dallin, the first thing she wants to do is go find him and wake him up.  She LOVES her baby dolls and it is very fun for me to see her imitate things I do with Dallin with her babies.  She "swaddles" them in small blankets or rags and cradles them while bouncing up and down and whispering "sh, sh, sh" in a rhythm in their ear.  In fact I heard her doing this behind me while I was doing the dishes this morning and was surprised when I turned around to see that she was cradling and "shushing" a roll of paper towels to sleep!  (kind of creative, kind of weird, but pretty cute!).  She says "sh" whenever she sees someone sleeping and is pretty good at whispering, though something she's done a few times recently in Sacrament Meeting when we say "shhhhh" is purposefully call out in high-pitched squeals.  Nice.

She loves singing and reading to herself.  Her most recent favorite song is "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam", joining in on the "beam" throughout the song.  She also loves to do the actions to "The Eentsy Weentsy Spider", "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and likes singing the "thank you" part of the Children's Song, "All Over the World at the End of Day".   It surprises me the things that Leah picks up on, especially where music is concerned.  When my parents were here recently, my mom asked me if Leah knew "Old McDonald Had a Farm".  I'd sung it for her a little bit, but not a ton, so I was about to reply "I think so" when Leah stepped in and answered the question herself by singing, "E-I-E-I-O!".  That's when I learned she definitely DID know that song!

Leah's most favorite activity is dancing.  She continues to perk up and rock out to any type of music, rhythm or beat...she still shakes those hips quite a bit, though a more favorite dance move is twirling over and over and over. She also likes to pick up a doll or stuffed animal and dance with them to the music (she puts one arm around the animal and holds one arm out, as if she were ballroom dancing with them).

She is really growing up...lately she only wants to go down steps the "big girl way" instead of turning around and sliding down on her belly.  I'm starting to let her walk out to the car more from our house on her own (mainly out of convenience - we live a little ways from where our car is parked, and it gets complicated trying to carry the two of them out now that Dallin isn't in his infant seat anymore....for a long time I'd just make two trips of it, bringing one child out at a time).  This is a big deal because she used to just run off and  it was tough catching her with Dallin in my arms.  She still sometimes runs off, but for the most part she'll at least walk to the car.  Getting into the car is another story, but we're getting there!

Though Leah can have her difficult moments, she sure is the sweetest, most joyful and beautiful little girl in our lives.  I know the difficulties come because of a very strong spirit inside that little body that is just learning how to control and direct that determination and energy.  She amazes and delights us every day and we love her so much!!!

And a couple bonus pics of the Leah-Dallin duo just for kicks! 
(he's not naked...he's got a diaper on.  and socks!)

 

2 comments:

  1. These are the BEST pictures ever. Thank you for the very sweet updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the size comparison here :)

    ReplyDelete